Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Week 5 "Profile" Pictures and other Updates

It's 11:51 pm on Wednesday- I still have time to make my Wednesday deadline! I have one super exciting thing to share...a charged camera! My new charger came in the mail yesterday so I have been having fun taking pictures. We were going to go to the park today (I wanted some good Fall photos!) but it ended up raining. So after class and lunch Dominic and I went to the library and then to a coffee shop downtown (Kaldi's). I have been really, really good about reducing my caffeine intake- in fact I have limited myself to 1-2 cups of tea a day. But today I really wanted coffee. I got a turtle flavored (not turtle as in the fun four-legged creature with the shell, turtle as in the wonderful chocolate sweet!) and it was divine:


It was fantastic, but specialty coffees are way too pricey for anything more frequent than, say, a once a month treat. I will have to try the suggestion Yvonne sent (thanks for passing it along!) of putting hot chocolate mix in regular coffee the next time I get an irresistible craving.

I've skipped ahead though. Let's rewind. Friday night Dominic and I went out for Korean food (all the Korean shows I've been watching for a project I’m working on got me wanting to try it) and it was pretty fantastic! Of course I got a soup that was a little more spicy than I am used to, but the flavor was great and the burn didn't linger. Dominic really seemed to enjoy it as well. I tried beef intestines for the first time in my entrĂ©e. They actually had a really good flavor- a very slight taste of liver, perhaps?- but very chewy. I will admit, the look of them wasn't super appetizing (just a reminder of how American I am). The Korean guy working there was surprised an American ordered intestines. Hey, I will try anything once.


After the Korean restaurant we tried to go to the library but it was closed early. So we wandered around downtown and happened upon the grand opening of a hookah bar. We haven’t had hookah in a while and decided to try it- the hookahs were so big they had to set them on the floor; they were taller than the tables. Afterwards we walked home just as the Nationals lost to the Cardinals…annnnd sometimes I forget I’m not in Virginia anymore. That definitely reminded me…people were so excited for the Cardinals they were taking their shirts off and running down the street. The middle of the street. Like crazy people. Sometimes I really do not understand sports culture…

The other exciting event of the weekend was participating in a BodyAttack class taught by a fellow anthro student, Jeremy. He is soon going to be a certified BodyAttack instructor. Super awesome! The class was a great workout and A LOT of fun but I’m still sore! I’m looking forward to doing it again this Saturday.

One funny thing to mention is how many Virginians I've been running into on the street. Literally. When Dominic and I were walking to the Lindsey Stirling concert last week I heard a guy sitting at an outside table talking about where he grew up in Virginia. I told him we were from Virginia too and he got super excited. He was from Alexandria. Then I was walking with Heather and Jeremy on Monday and we were talking about Virginia versus Missouri weather (no big difference so far). I noticed there was a guy walking right next to me very awkwardly. Finally he said something like “I don’t want to seem weird but I couldn't help but over hear…where in Virginia are you from? I’m from Chesapeake.” Then while I was talking to him, another guy, walking behind us, said he used to live in Goochland! It was totally bizarre. It’s nice in a strange way though, even though I don’t know those people and probably won’t see them again…it’s just nice to know that there are pieces of Virginia everywhere.

I close with profile pictures! I was so excited about my camera today that I decided everyone needed a new "profile" picture. Yeah, Dominic has been shaking his head at me all day for all my picture taking, but I have to make up for lost time. So here's our happy bunch! 


It's the man of the house!


It's the other man of the house ;) 


The crazy camera lady of the house.


And the house guard- she really knows how to work the camera.

Have a great week everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I want that turtle coffee and a real turtle too.

    Love you more!

    ReplyDelete