Monday, January 27, 2014

Facebookless Fun

First, I want to wish Yvonne a very happy birthday today! I could not have asked for a better step-mom, and I hope your coming year is a fantastic one. Sending lots of love your way!



So I have been Facebookless for, well, less than a week, but I have to say, it's FANTASTIC. I can't believe how much time I have wasted on there! The amount of "free time" I have without it is amazing. I check my email every morning and boom, done. Sometimes I sit for a minute and think, that's it? I can move on with my life? I can already walk away from the computer? And yes! No scanning newsfeeds and responding to comments. No seeing what everyone's doing every minute of every day and reading endless Buzzfeed shares. I have more time for reading, so my 24 book goal for 2014 is going well, and, of course, I have more time to think about/work on school stuff. And I have time do other things online like find awesome recipes.

And oh, have I found some awesome ones! In fact I found the BEST website with great, tasty, and CHEAP recipes and it tells you how much each serving costs. I love it! However, I went on yesterday morning to share a recipe with a friend and the site was gone! Ahhhh. I hope they just forgot to pay their web domain bill or whatever and will be back because they were awesome and I'm very disappointed that they've vanished.

I made one really simple recipe from the site, black bean quesadillas, for a crowd of 7 Saturday night and it was a roaring success. So I'm going to share here. It was $0.66 per quesadilla. We devoured 14 of them last night, so I fed 7 people for less than $10! You can't beat that! I doubled it last night but this is what it originally called for:

1 can black beans, drained (don't really need to rinse them, just drain in colander)
1 cup frozen corn (does not need to be thawed)
2 cups cheddar cheese
1/4 batch fresh cilantro, chopped (I used a whole batch last night because I love cilantro so I would say add to your taste)
1/2 a red onion, chopped
1 "batch" taco seasoning (I didn't make my own "batch" which was what it was calling for. I bought a big thing of Ortega taco seasoning and used 4 tablespoons, so for this I would use two, but again, I would just do it to your taste preferences)
I believe it also called for minced garlic, I just used a dash of garlic powder, again to taste.

Mix all of this in a large bowl.

Use soft taco sized tortillas. It takes about half a cup of the above mixture on half and then fold the tortilla over. Pop it into a nonstick skillet (or lightly sprayed if you don't have non-stick) and cook until done! They are good plain or with sour cream and salsa. I bet they'd be good with guacamole too.

I think a good variation of this would include mushrooms and maybe green peppers, but it was fantastic as is.

Speaking of online recipes, I have developed a new Internet pet peeve: why do people rate recipes online and comment that something "looks good" or "will try." Don't rate something if you don't know how good it is yet! Your comment is worthless and the star-rating of the recipe misleading! Don't do that people. Don't. Do. That.

Alright, that's all from me this week. Have a good week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment