Monday, January 20, 2014

Return to Blogging, Facebook Hiatus and Other Updates

Yeah, I've been gone for a spell. You don't have to tell me; my blinking cursor says enough. But hey I'm back for a bit, so that's something, right? Backtracking would be impossible, so here are some basic updates:

1) Starting Tuesday I am taking a BIG Facebook hiatus. I need to keep myself on track academically and personally over the next few months, and Facebook is a bit of a time/soul suck for me that I need to step back from. Aside from the time suck factor, I think we get too caught up comparing ourselves to everyone else on social media sites, and, well, that's just silly and I know better. But not comparing your life to others is easier said than done, and it will be easier without social media shoving it down my throat. I need to gain some personal perspective. So I am taking a break, at least for the semester. 

2) BUT, I am intending on returning to my once a week posts here, so I hope you will keep stopping by for the occasional visit! There will be a new post every Monday. 

3) One BIG reason for the hiatus is that I am taking my MA exam this semester. It is an oral exam during which you demonstrate your knowledge of the three primary subfields of anthropology (cultural physical, and archaeology…linguistics, the fourth subfield, is not included). Oral exams have always been quite frightening for me, so yes I am a bit nervous about it. I am also continuing work on my dissertation proposal so that I can get my MA finished and actually get started on my PhD. That seems crazy…but I'm getting there.

4) Yes, I am planning on returning to Bangladesh this summer, God willing and the creek don't rise, as Grandad Raymond always says. I am looking forward to it because I know I can make it a good experience. And of course I am missing some of the great friends (like family) I have made there! Hopefully I will see them again soon.

5) Mr. Kitty and Ripley are as awesome as always. Unfortunately, my camera is broken so I won't have any photo updates for you for a while. I know you are disappointed. My apologies.

6) My only resolution for 2014 is to read 24 books. That's it. Keeping it simple with the hopes that I can complete it this year. I am keeping track on Goodreads.com. So far I have finished two books: the first book in the Hunger Games trilogy (yes, it is as addicting as I had heard) and a book called Homer's Odyssey by  Gwen Cooper, about her experiences with her pretty awesome blind cat. 


7) Also, in the spirit of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, which is another American holiday we should think more about, I am sharing this article and I am adding King's Where Do We Go From Here?: Chaos or Community? to my reading list for the year. From what I understand, he wrote this book in isolation while in Jamaica and it was out of print for some time. This book talks a great deal about his philosophy on the solution to poverty, and I suspect that it would remain highly relevant to today. 

To be honest, dear readers, 2013 brought some things to my life that I was not ready for and that I am not having a particularly easy time understanding. I'm still sorting a lot of things out. And I know that 2014 likely won't be much easier, and, indeed, will perhaps be much harder, because I know that some big decisions are coming up in my life and they are only mine to make. Making decisions that are only yours to make are the hardest ones, because you are the only one you can blame if you decide later they were the wrong ones. But they are coming and by golly I'm an adult and so I will make them.

In the mean time I will try to keep up here – weekly, like I was doing before – despite my Facebook hiatus. I hope you check in every once in a while. 

Bangladesh Photo of the Week!


I think of these hills of tea leaves surprisingly often, as I have never seen such a rich and beautiful green. The photos, of course, do not do it justice.

Have a great week everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I had a feeling once you disappeared off Facebook, I could find you here! Good luck with staying disconnected. I've always gone back and forth on it, but always seem to be stuck coming back to it, since it's an easy way to stay in contact with friends abroad. But there is always email. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in! And I will need the luck! I'm getting the dirty looks and tones from my attempt to take a break from Facebook - and of course not getting invited to events (I'm actually okay with that...I just assume stay in anyway...). But yeah, it is a bit challenging. And yes email! And Skype! We should do that some time! My Skype name is amber.k.c.

      Delete